Built over a hundred years ago, the Downs Hut has been a base for many forays into the high country. Musterers, shepherds, hunters, fishermen, and trampers have all left their inscriptions on the hut walls with the earliest names dating back to 1904.
However, time has taken its toll on the sacking bunks and beech framing and recently the hut has also become a haven for birds and possums. So…this summer the hut is getting something of a make-over. Mindful that it is a piece of history, the old iron cladding and beech framing are being retained and beefed up - hopefully the hut will last at least another 100 years.